Life is short. Break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that makes you smile. We're not quantified; there's no chart of desire. When the roaring flames of your heart have burned down to embers, may you find that you have married your best friend. [Steven Tyler]

Monday, April 04, 2011

Take a Break!

Yes, I am speaking literally on both counts as you will see if you stick with me and read on..........

First of all, I have taken quite a break from blogging as a result of several major occurrences that have been very much controlling my life over the last few months but the most recent event, in a perverse sort of way, has initiated my return to the blogasphere today.

I haven't been doing too much crafting either, at least not in the way I used to. I've been concentrating very much on art journalling, drawing, painting and designing, returning very much to the disciplines I used to love so much following my years studying Art and I'm loving it. You'll have to hold on for a little while to see some of the things I've been doing, there's a brand new collaborative blog on the horizon and when we're ready to share I'll put a link to it in the sidebar on here.

So, what has forced my hand and got me back here now you may ask?

Well it's the second of the breaks I mentioned........................ as you can see here:

Our poor 'little' man is in the wars. Yep, Diesel has broken his leg and it has to be a complicated fracture of course.

I underwent surgery at the beginning of March and was ready to start with some gentle exercise to begin building up my stamina  again and with the improvement in the weather over the last couple of few weeks what better way than to get out and about walking with Diesel. We've been taking it gently and last Tuesday it was so lovely and warm that we deviated from our walking routine and went for a romp in the field behind our house.

Diesel will do anything for a ball, he likes the type attached to a short rope as they can be thrown further and he gets a really good fast run. We take two and I throw one which he retrieves and as he returns it to me I throw the next one in another direction, he drops the first one as he goes  past me and chases the second one and so it goes on. To cut a long story short, he'd had a good run and I decided just a couple more throws then I'd put him back on his lead and we'd return home. He was still booling along at a rapid rate of knots when he sighted where the next ball had landed and without dropping any speed he turned and grabbed for the ball, his left front leg went down under him in the turn and the rest of his weight followed and he yelled out but he picked himself up together with the ball and came limping back. I checked him over, couldn't feel anything too obvious so we slowly walked home.

He rested but it was clear that things weren't improving, his limp was more pronounced and the leg was very swollen so I rang his vet and made an appointment to go in that evening. They checked him over and gave him some anti-inflammatory tablets and pain killers.... exactly the same pain killers that I take for my knee. We were told that he was to have nothing to eat after 8pm and we were to take him back at 8.30 Wednesday morning for a general anaesthetic and a full set of X-rays.

We went to collect him Wednesday evening and Rob discussed the results of the films with us, it clearly showed a complicated fracture just where the long bone attaches to what we'd call the wrist joint. Apparently, this type of break is hardly ever seen in pet dogs and occurs more in racing dogs.... well, what a surprise! Diesel's leg was in a pot with a lovely pale purple dressing with blue spots, very fetching. The prognosis: they will repeat the anaesthetic and X-rays in five days time and if there's an improvement and the bones are growing together they will re-pot it and let it heal. If there's no improvement or the bones have got further apart then it will mean an operation to pin the joint together and we were told to prepare ourselves as in most cases this type of fracture requires surgery.

We also had a little plastic boot to put over the pot to protect it from moisture as the nice weather had now turned showery. You can see his other leg has a small shaved area where they inserted the drip to keep his organs supported during the anaesthetic, recommended for dogs over the age of eight. We left with strict instructions that he was to be kept quiet and have restricted movement until his return the following Monday (today).

Keeping Diesel quiet and still is a total impossibility and I stand more of a chance of winning the Euro Lottery than I ever do of restricting his movement. I slept downstairs with him in case he needed help in the night. Every time he tried to lay down the cast got in the way and he got stuck but eventually he settled. I heard my husbands alarm clock go off at 0545 in the morning and before I could make a grab for Diesel, to my horror, he was off up the stairs to get him up!

So lesson learned, we blocked the stairs with a fold up table so he couldn't do it again and Thursday night I stayed down with him just to be on the safe side. The alarm goes off on Friday morning and what does he do? Yep.... he jumped the table complete with pot, landed half way up the stairs and was off again. Result.... one broken pot right where the fracture is! Back we went to the vets.

He went in again today as planned and the news isn't good I'm afraid. There's no improvement (why am I not surprised?) So he will be going in for an operation on Wednesday to have the fracture pinned. He won't have to have another pot, it will be well bandaged and supported for approximately four weeks and all in all, recuperation will be ten weeks during which time he is to be kept quiet and have restricted movement.... arghhhhhhhh can you hear me screaming? Funny moment from today: Rob tells us Diesel is the only dog they've known to not only break the pot but to completely snap the strong plastic cradle that they use as a splint inside the bandages.... that's my Boy!

He was still feeling sleepy when we got home so after he'd been fed he laid down and had a snooze (thank goodness). The nurses decided on a nice turquoise pot with blue stars this time. They were going to put a white one on with pink hearts! 

You can see how bleary eyed he is here and he's still trying to fight it. This lad never gives in!

"If only I can keep my eyes open I might be able to get her to play ball"

There, I'm awake Mum let's play..... pleeease!

I'll keep you up to date with how he gets on this week and I'll have some arty things to share next time too.


craftimamma said...

How spooky Lynn, I was just typing the news about poor Diesel in an email to Jo, Judith and Elaine and your tweet came through about this post.

Poor lad, what a thing to happen and I know what you mean about keeping them quiet. Snoopy would have to be permanently sedated to keep him quiet! All I can say is best of luck to you both.

Email to follow tomorrow ....... er, later today.

Lesley Xx

Elaine said...

Hi Lynn

So lovely to hear from you and I await the news of your collaborative blog with great interest.

So sorry to hear about Diesel, I can imagine how stressful this has been for you. It sounds like you have a good vet though, that is always a reassurance. It will obviously be difficult to keep him restrained, so I can only hope you can find some strategies that work OK for you all!

Lots of love

Elaine x

judith@poppy cottage said...

Poor Diesel, but what an athlete he obviously is! Fingers crossed all goes well for him Lynn.
It's lovely to see you back in Blogland, look forward to seeing your arty endeavours. So sorry I missed you at Harrogate, Judith xx

artyfartykat said...

Firstly, welcome back to blog land!! I can stop nagging now, well at least about blogging!!
But secondly, and most importantly of course, poor Diesel! I know the op was more probable than not but you still hope it won't be necessary. Knowing Diesel I wasn't surprised about the table jumping and pot cracking, but the internal support,well done Diesel you've excelled yourself!!
It's going to be a looonng 10 weeks for you all, we'll have to arrange something to stop you losing anymore of your marbles ;) xx

veronica said...

wish you luck keeping Diesel quiet, think you will need knockout drops to do it! glad your knee is now ok

erasercarver said...

Lots of hugs coming over to lovely Diesel, I'll have him in my thoughts tomorrow. I just don't know how you're going to keep him quiet for 10 weeks though, just looking at those pictures of him still wanting to play ball despite being knocked out proves that he still wants to be running around!
Agree with Artyfartykat, we'll get something arranged! xx

Jill said...

Poor Diesel. I'll be thinking of you both tomorrow. trust you to have a dog that won't give in....much like his owner I might add!

I'm looking forward to the collaborative blog. can't wait to see what you've been up. So pleased you're doing art again.



crafty flossie said...

Oh my word. It sounds like Diesel has certainly made a good job of it. Poor you, you must be wishing the next operation was over and done, as the waiting is horrid. I'm keeping everything crossed that he can take it easy and not go bounding up the stairs. I do hope your insurance company are being kind. It's good to see you in blog land.
Debbie and Archie

judithw said...

aw poor lad, good luck on the keeping him quiet, that will take some doing. See you soon.

Helen said...

Lovely to hear from you again!
Poor old Diesel - it always makes me laugh when the vet says you have to keep them quiet - how?!!!

Glenda said...

Oh good grief, as if you didn't have enough on - keeping a dog like Diesel quiet (?!?) for ten weeks. Yeah, good luck with that. Great to see you blogging again.


joyce said...

What a tale[tail!!]Lynn!!!!He is a very lively dog so you are going to have you work cut out keeping him still.
Great that you are blogging again Lynn.I took your advice and got the trim I needed from Boyes and the lampshade is now complete and I love it.You can see a photo of it on the old Graphicus site.Yhank you for the advice.
hope you are feeling better now.Good weather to walk[but not with a poorly dog]
Speak soon xx Joyce

Val said...

Poor Diesel - this is going to be really hard for you both.

A friend of mine had a similar problem, in the end she had to get a dog cage to restrict the movement of her dog - a labrador - until it was safe for him again. She hated doing it - but it was the only way.

Great to see you blogging again. Take care.

Pamela said...

Poor Diesel, what a horrible thing to happen. And how are you going to keep him quiet?! Came to your blog as Glenda is doing a candy and has suggested we visit the DT blogs but can't find any posts of the cards you've made with the new Chocolate Baroque stamps.

Marja's Stamp Addiction said...

I will cross my finger all will goes good with him Lynn.
I hope to see your blog with interest.
Gr. Marja

Moira said...

Sending good thoughts to you and that scoundrel of a dog, amazing what a determined dog can achieve, pot or no pot, can not begin to imagine trying to keep either of our 2 quiet for 10 mniutes!

All the best to you both.

Rosie said...

Oh Lynn, poor you and poor Diesel! Please give him a gentle fuss from me - he is one handsome boy! I really hope he improves quickly - and that your knee is behaving and getting stronger each day too. Take care, Cheers Rosie

Lynn W. said...

Glad to see you blogging again Lynn, but sorry to hear about Diesel.

Lynn W

Crazicards Crafty Blog said...

Ouch poor diesel. Hope he gets better soon. Angela x

Miranda said...

hope your poor doggy recovers soon, give him a big hg from me

anita01 said...

Och ..... geef hem maar een dikke knuffel, zo zielig he... XXX

Warme gr. Anita

Karen said...

Oh, poor Diesel - he looks soooo sorry for himself but I'm sure he'll be back to normal in no time. Welcome back to blogland.

Alexandra said...

Just when you're getting back on your feet, poor Diesel. What a boy to try gymnastics in a cast to climb stairs.
His brain is obviously tuned into a routine of "up and at 'em". I wish him a calm and successful speedy recovery.
Enjoy getting back to your arty roots. I'll look forward to your arty posts when all this excitement dies down. Take care.