Life is short. Break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that makes you smile. We're not quantified; there's no chart of desire. When the roaring flames of your heart have burned down to embers, may you find that you have married your best friend. [Steven Tyler]

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Tags and Stamps

As you know from previous posts, most of my time over the last few months has been devoted to looking after Diesel while his broken leg healed and although he was only in plaster and then bandages for about eight weeks following his operation I have had to have eyes in the back of my head to keep him out of mischief and prevent any further damage. Then the rehab, getting him out and about walking to build up the muscles and strengthen the tendons and the occasional swim to build stamina (I wasn't aware that needed building - he never stops). All in all it hasn't allowed for any concentrated bouts of crafting so I've been dabbling here and there.

When the weather has been nice enough for him to be outside in the garden I've taken my lap top out and worked from the patio table planning and designing new and exciting things and keeping my eyes on him at the same time.


Now that Diesel can be left more to his own devices again it's freed me up to do more of what I want to do when I want to do it and I have been creating in many different ways, with fabrics featuring heavily in my pieces but I'll share more of that in the future.

What I have enjoyed has been going back and revisiting my huge collection of beautiful wood mounted art stamps that I have been collecting since 1981. When I first found rubber stamping I was in Tampa, Florida and I started to bring stamps and stamping supplies home with me after every visit to the USA, believing that my new found passion might last a few years at the most before I found something else to replace it with. How wrong can you be?

We now have access to all sorts of rubber, acrylic, clear and foam stamps in the UK but I still love the feel of a quality wood mounted rubber stamp and those stamps that I bought thirty years ago are still as good today as they were the day I got them. So, I thought today I would show you a few art tags that feature some of my 'old' faithfuls. I've mixed them up with newer acrylic stamps, images from paper napkins and hand drawn border lines.


The main image here is by Acey Deucy, it's called 'Sweetbriar' and this is one of my all time favourites. I've layered a small tag onto a large tag and used the background stamp by Anna Griffin to unify the two tags.The hi-lighting on the face has been created by working on a white tag and leaving an area un-inked where I've stamped Sweetbriar's face, it gives quite an ethereal feel to the focal point.



A mix of acrylic and unmounted rubber stamps here featuring Classic Icons by TPC Studio, 7 Gypsies and Lost Coast's Chess Pieces stamped over torn musical score which has been aged with Ranger's Distress Inks. I've used a white gel pen to edge the tag and add some hi-lights. The butterfly is from a paper napkin.



The same Anna Griffin image as used in the first tag has been stamped in a very pale ink to create the background then over stamped with a sweet collection of floral and dotty wood mounted stamps from Elusive Images. The main image is called 'The Calligraphy Robe' by Stampington and I've added a butterfly and flower stem taken from a paper napkin applied with DecoPatch Glue/Varnish which you can now find at branches of HobbyCraft. Check out DecoPatch's tissue papers, they are Divine!



On this tag I started by stamping the background with a clear Prima alphabet collage stamp then added torn and aged musical score down one side. Lost Coast's 'Chess Piece' and 7 Gypsies 'Travel' clear stamps simply stamped with Archival Black ink. Finally, the face of the chess piece has been covered with Glossy Accents and some more paper napkin butterflies added.



The final tag has been completely covered with a musical score then aged with Distress inks. Sweetbriar, the chequered floor by Lost Coast and a little swirl have been stamped over the top and the tag is completed with a butterfly cut from a napkin and a white gel pen border.


I finished all of the tags by attaching a metal eyelet to the reinforcement hole and linked them all together with a silver book ring.

Happy Crafting!

12 comments:

craftimamma said...

Wow, these are all fabulous Lynn. Love the techniques and stamps you have used on every one of them. Oh, I do miss your tag workshops!

Hugs
Lesley Xx

veronica said...

welcome back Lynn - and a big hug for the recovering invalid!
my favourites are nos 2and 3 - just love the colours and the robe stamp is lovely

judith@poppy cottage said...

Fabulous tags Lynn, it's great to see you back crafting again. I love the mixture of stamps that you have used, there are some beauties in there. The colours that you have pulled together are fabulous too.
I have some of that beautiful tissue paper that you mention, and some very pretty napkins. I took part in an international napkin swap last year, and have some real gems. I have only used one so far! The butterflies look beautiful, but they are an image that I am particularly fond of.
Hugs, Judith xx

erasercarver said...

Ooooh, just gorgeous, Lynn, lots of lovely inspiration here. Looks like you've been having lots of fun!

Unknown said...

I can see whay you love Sweet Briar so much. She's gorgeous and the Calligraphy Robe is another stamp I love.

I can't use wood mounted stamps too well and still struggle sometimes with unmounted one, but acrylic I can stamp all day with. really bizarre!!

You always manage to inspire me to try tag crafting more. One of these days....

Pleased Diesel is doing so well.

Love

Jill
x

Glenda said...

It's wonderful to see you getting creative again Lynn, your work is always amazingly inspirational.

I have a lot of those stamps too, mine are still locked away in a drawer! Glad to hear Diesel is on the mend too.

Glenda

judithw said...

fantastic as always Lynn x

Elaine said...

Some fabulous work here Lynn. Brilliant to see you sharing your work again, loads of inspiration.

Well done for supervising Diesel's recovery so well, I know it has been massively challenging. Hope his infection clears up very soon too.

I bet your stamp collection is a real treasure trove, I would love to see it. I have so few wood mounted stamps as they take up so much space, but they always feel special when I do use the ones I have.

Looking forward to seeing more of your projects.

Hugs

Elaine xx

artyfartykat said...

These are just fabulous Lynn, (though I must admit I've yet to see a piece of your work that wasn't beautiful) these old favourite stamps look stunning with your new 'treatment' of them.
Don't stop, keep rockin' girl!!! xx

joyce said...

Great to have you back on line again Lynn.Some gorgeous tags and fabulous ideas ideas.Gives me a 'jump start' to do more tags.
Pleased Diesel is on the mend and you can concentrate more on crafting instead of vetinary nursing!!!! xx Joyce

Margaret Iddon said...

Glad to see you back Lesley - and that Diesel is improving.

FAB U LOUS tags - what beautifuol work. I too have a load of wood mounted stamps that will have to be revisited.

I have some fab printed tissue paper (somewhere) and napkins I got in Germany (probably somewhere else) so must have a go and see what I can come up with now you have inspired me.

Sarah Liz said...

Oh Lynn, how lovely to see you blogging again - been thinking of you! And fab eye fodder too. Sarah & the kitties x